Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Your Authentic Self

Riddle me this: Are you your most authentic self? According to the Webster's Dictionary that I've been leafing through since high school, authentic means "1. that can be believed or accepted; trustworthy; reliable 2. that is in fact as represented; genuine; real". So, when you are out-and-about, fraternizing, schmoozing, dealing with the daily logistics, are you authentic? As a parent, as a partner, as an employee, as a social being - are you true to your authentic self? Whether you are honest or not, a fool or a genius - no matter. You just have to be you to be authentic. If you are outspoken, then be outspoken. If you are kind, then be kind. The challenge is trying to be authentic in every setting, with every group - you get the idea. I've tried it and it's not easy. Try it on for size and tell me how it goes. By the way, check out the kid on stool. I'm pretty sure my nephew Dillon is staying true to his authentic self.