Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Number 3: Watch a sunrise at least once a year.


BACKSTORY: Does anyone remember the small book by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.?  Life's Little Instruction Book, as many of my peers may recall, was written by a father as a gift for his college-bound son. For anyone unfamiliar with the format of the book, it lists “511 suggestions, observations, and reminders on how to live a happy and rewarding life”.  I thought it would be fun to blog about the entries as they relate to my own experiences. 

Number 3: Watch a sunrise at least once a year.
I have only happened upon sunrises. This night owl has never been motivated enough to rise early for one. And since I have only witnessed them while en route to the airport or to the hospital (to delivery a baby), my sightings have always been overshadowed by other big events and have never forged stand-alone memories. A sunrise is beautiful to be sure, and life seems to bring us together without much effort.  I'm not sure people need to treat a sunrise like an event.  It happens every day after all.  But I'm glad to have a sense of them, and the stillness they inspire. It's comforting to know that the curtain so reliably opens on each new day, whether I've got a leading role or not.