Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Authority Figures

The principal at my daughter's school called me yesterday afternoon and within 45 seconds, both my cell phone AND landline were ringing in from the same number. I was in the middle of rehearsing one of my regular after school specials replete with tears, yelling and people talking to me (all while I'm already talking to someone on the phone, by the way). As soon as things around me eased, I returned his call, but he had already left for the day. I hope I'm not alone when I admit that I still quake at the thought of meeting or talking with an authority figure. This time it ended up being no big deal. But historically whenever this sort of thing has happened to me, I ALWAYS feel nervous and stressed and I contemplate worst case scenarios. Please tell me I'm not the only one.